Beginning June 1, 2007, requests for temporary electric service will need to be completed within 120 days from receipt of the application. If the request is not completed within 120 days, then it will be canceled and removed from the system. The customer will need to submit a new application and fee, if temporary electric service is still required.
Starting Electric Service In a Developer’s or Contractor’s Name For a Residence, Mobile Home, or Business That Has Existing Electric Service
Open an account with Customer Service by calling (863) 834-9535 or visiting our downtown office at 501 E Lemon St.
Starting Electric Service in a Developer’s or Contractor’s Name For a New Residence, Mobile Home or Business
1. Obtain necessary building permits from the appropriate city or county permit office. If building a new home, installing a new mobile home, or upgrading existing service, provide the permit number and a General Service Application to the customer service office when setting up electric service accounts.
2. Contact the city’s Property Information Office to obtain an "official address" for the new home or business. This must be done prior to opening an account and obtaining service.
3. Open an account (see step one in the first section). If you require temporary service for construction purposes, establish separate accounts with separate General Service Applications if the service will be in different names for both temporary and/or permanent service. Remember to call our customer service office when you are ready to transfer from the temporary service to the permanent service. Again, you will need to provide the permit number for each account.
4. Call the electric engineering group to spot the "point of delivery." (Point of delivery is where the customer’s service cable terminates at the transformer, secondary pedestal, or main line pole/mid-span bracket.)
5. For non-standard residential services that either exceeds 200 amps or has a sub-panel, your electrician will be responsible for providing and installing the service cable. Lakeland Electric will make the cable termination at the "point of delivery."
6. For commercial customers with underground service, all conductors must be provided and installed by the customer. All commercial customers must provide our electric engineering group with detailed electrical plans including load data.
7. Upon completion, contact the appropriate city or county inspection office to schedule a final electric inspection. While the inspector may place a "green sticker" on your meter can, showing it has passed the inspection, or you receive a "Certificate of Occupancy", that does not mean your service is ready to be connected.
Very important: For the electric service to be connected, the following must be completed:
· A General Service Application for temporary and/or permanent electric service in the customer’s name must be submitted along with a deposit if applicable, before an account will be setup. (Deposits are required for all commercial accounts)
· Clearance from the city or county inspections office
· Street number permanently placed on the structure or meter can
· Meets all Lakeland Electric requirements
For residential and single-phase commercial, it will take approximately 1 to 2 working days to install a service cable and meter. If we need to install a transformer, it will take 3 to 5 working days. For more complex requirements — such as installing a pole or constructing a primary line extension not requiring an easement or permit — anticipate up to 10 working days. Times are approximate, vary by installation, and could be extended if storm damage or other emergencies requires our crews to focus on restoring service to existing customers.
*Note: Due to the many variables, three-phase commercial service time frames cannot be standardized.
If a state, county, or city road crossing permit is required and/or we must obtain an easement from the property owner for a primary line extension, work might take up to 8 weeks to complete. If an easement is required, it will also be necessary for the property owner to arrange for the initial clearing of trees and vegetation.
For any service that requires excavation, Lakeland Electric must contact Sunshine One Call at (800) 432-4770 for the respective existing underground lines to be marked before beginning our work.